UV : An Everyday Threat
Everyone, everyday, everywhere
Everyone should be aware of the need to protect themselves against UV hazards. This has become even more important in our current environment, where the thinning of the Earth’s ozone layer and the rise in life expectancy increase everyone’s UV exposure.
Our eyes are exposed to UV radiations 365 days a year, even on cloudy days. Actually, up to 40% of UV exposure occurs when we are not in full sunlight… and are less likely to wear protection ! !
Besides, it has been estimated that half of UV radiations reaching us come from reflections (sky, ground, water, windows…) and not directly from the sun. It means that we are exposed to UV light almost everywhere we stand: outdoors, but also indoors, where fluocompact bulbs emitting UV are more and more common.
UV dangers shown in 6 key-facts
- The eyes are the only internal tissues of the body directly exposed to UV light
- 40% of annual UV exposure occurs when we are not in full sunlight
- 90% of visible premature aging is caused by UV damages
- 3.2 millions of people go blind every year from prolonged UV exposure.
- UV accelerate the appearance of cataract : 20 millions of surgeries are performed every year worldwide
- Children’s annual UV exposure is 3 times higher than that of adults